Utrecht, Netherlands — Nov 13, 2023 – Inclusive Innovations today unveiled its European edition, which will be held at the Domstad, Utrecht, The Netherlands on November 23rd. Bringing together accessibility advocates and assistive technology innovators for and from across Europe’s blind and low-vision community, the upcoming event boasts interactive workshops, an international speaker program and a networking tech fair and reception. This edition of Inclusive Innovations will also celebrate the launch of a new Bartiméus Fonds Innovation Challenge, the event’s sponsor.
Dr. Amit Patel (@BlindDad_Uk / BBC - Dog Squad) is set to headline, along with representatives from reputed institutions including the Royal National Institute for the Blind; The Thomas Pocklington Trust; Unilever; Booking.com, and the University of Amsterdam.
On the innovation forefront, Biped (wearable that works like a self-driving car for pedestrians); Hable (tactile smartphone keyboard); Zappar (developers of accessible QR codes and more) and Envision (creators of the Envision App and Envision Glasses), will be showcased along with more announcements coming soon.
Explaining the genesis of Inclusive Innovations and its mission, Karthik Mahadeven, co-founder and CEO of Envision said, “Five years ago, when we embarked on our journey with Envision most events either clung to age-old tools or were heavily tech-centered, missing out on the real essence – the inclusive impact. This is why we created Inclusive Innovations, a stage am community tailor-made for startups and teams, who are pushing boundaries to make the world a better place. It's our way of providing what we yearned for years ago.”
Inclusive Innovations is not only creating a powerful community of change-makers but also a platform for innovation, one that the Bartiméus Fonds of the Netherlands is using to launch a new Innovation Challenge. Remke Brand, Head of Programs at Bartiméus Fonds, echoed the sentiment: “Innovators and accessibility advocates move in very different circles, and until now, it has virtually impossible to connect the two in a meaningful way. Inclusive Innovations provide a much welcomed forum where the real world needs of people who are blind or who have low vision can become the inspiration for assistive technologists. We are excited to help discover the next generation of innovators and life-changing products and services.”
Being held at the Domstad in Utrecht, Inclusive Innovations starts at 10:00 AM on November 23rd with workshops offering participants the opportunity to engage in solving challenges regarding inclusive labor design and explore app accessibility. The speaker program kicks off at 1:00 PM, featuring a diverse range of speakers and tech demos. The event ends with a networking tech fair and reception, allowing attendees to connect with like-minded individuals and try out the latest innovations in person.
Inclusive Innovations Program:
- 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM – IAm Design Session: Join the inclusive labor design session as a maker or expert.
- 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM – App Accessibility Workshop: Navigating the intricate pathways of the digital realm.
- 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM – Walk-in: Check in, grab a refreshing drink, and find your perfect spot.
- 1:30 PM - 1:45 PM – Welcome and Housekeeping: Get acquainted with a friendly introduction to the program's agenda and tips to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
- 1:45 PM - 2:15 PM – Keynote: Dr. Amit Patel: Dr. Amit Patel, an author, diversity, equity, and inclusion consultant, motivates attendees with his keynote. Dr. Patel shares his journey as a registered blind individual and how he uses assistive technologies to drive greater representation and challenge perceptions of disability.
- 2:15 PM - 3:15 PM – Tech Demos: Witness demos of next-generation assistive technologies, products, and services.
- 3:45 PM - 4:45 PM – Panel: Putting Innovation into Action: Join an insightful discussion on the practical steps required to put innovation into action at work, at home, and on the go. Moderated by Robin Spinks (RNIB), with panellists including Parham Doustdar(Booking.com), Jos Verbrugge (University of Amsterdam), Jonathan Ward (Thomas Poklington Trust) and Mark Hewitt (Unilever).
- 4:45 PM - 5:00 PM – Announcement of the Bartiméus Fonds Innovation Challenge: Discover the opportunities the Bartiméus Fonds Innovation Challenge presents, as explained by Remke Brand, Head of Programs at Bartiméus Fonds.
Networking Tech Fair & Reception:
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM – Enjoy a drink and a snack while trying out the innovations, meeting their creators, and networking with speakers, advocates, and friends.
Inclusive Innovations 2023 is free to attend and strives to be fully accessible. To register and reserve your ticket, please visit the Inclusive Innovations website here.